Monday, March 22, 2010

Borderlands: DLC

I've Been playing Borderlands DLC with Liz. I loved Borderlands. I love the DLC.

General Knox got really good reviews so I talked Liz in to trying it with me. Had a great opening movie, looked a lot of fun, but it was apparently for level 50+. Our highest characters were 38, so we took those characters and went and did the other DLC we had.

We started with "The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned." It was fun, but a bit grindy. There are LOTs of zombies and they take awhile to kill. Near the end we ended up blitzing the missions instead of stopping to kill all the waves.

After (mostly) doing Dr. Ned (250 brains will have to wait) and getting to level 47 we had to choose between the single player campaign to get the last couple of levels to do General Knox or do Mad Moxxi. The reviews for Mad Moxxi were terrible, getting a ~50ish on MetaCritic.

Liz talked me in to risking the $10, mostly because it has a bank you can store stuff in.

We both ended up really liking Mad Moxxi. It's not for the faint of heart though, it took us like 3 hours to "conquer" one area. It was like 5 rounds of 5 waves each. It was long enough we had to take breaks while holed up in a corner or hard to reach spot while the enemies roamed looking for us.

The loot in Mad Moxxi was pretty kicking, but no exp (which was fine.) The map was really, really cool and you didn't understand the neatness until you really had been playing on it for an hour. The music is awesome and Mad Moxxi's voice is great to.

Mad Moxxi also requires tactics. You can lose and have to restart if all players die... and dead players only come back at the end of a wave. The neat thing is that dead players can still help... they get put in a crows nest sort of "penalty box" that you can shoot out but you can't leave.

I'm looking forward to trying the next maps/rounds. I'm wondering if it saves any of your progress though. Those rounds were long.

I think I would have rated Mad Moxxi a lot higher. I think what people were frustrated by is that they wanted a full campaign like Dr. Ned, and overlooked the interesting bits of Mad Moxxi.  I suspect if they had released Mad Moxxi after General Knox people would have been more interested having been sated in their appetite for more campaign content.

No comments:

Post a Comment